The Automobile Association of Singapore advises drivers to:
- Check for any malfunctioning parts and hanging electrical wiring.
- Schedule regular checks of the vehicle's electrical and fuel system.
- Note if the vehicle has a fuse that blows more than once.
- Check for oil leaks and always use a funnel when adding oil.
- Be alert to changes in your vehicle, such as louder engine sounds or visible exhaust from the tailpipe.
- Check the temperature gauge often to see if the engine is hotter than usual.
Should a vehicle catch fire, the driver should stay calm and take these steps:
1. Signal and move immediately to the road shoulder or left lane.
2. Stop the vehicle and turn off the engine.
3. Get yourself and your passengers out of the vehicle. If possible, move at least 50m away.
4. Dial 995 for SCDF. Don't try to put out the fire or return to the vehicle to get valuables as doing so could expose you to great risk.
This article was first published in The New Paper.