Fri, Feb 06, 2009
MRT hits, kills man

A man who stretched his head out to see if a train was arriving was knocked down by one that was approaching the station. He died immediately. The incident occurred this morning, Friday, at Bukit Batok MRT station.

By the time the ambulance arrived at the scene, they found the man in a pool of blood. He was proclaimed dead at 6.10am.

The deceased is Mr Cai Liang Hua, 59, an employee at PSA International Private Limited (PSA). He leaves behind a wife and son.

An eyewitness, Ms Chen, who is in her 40s, told Shin Min Daily News that she was making her way to work from Woodlands and was heading to Jurong East when the train stopped halfway while approaching the station.

It did not continue moving for another 20 minutes, affecting the journey of over 1,000 passengers.

Passengers were rushing to the back of the train and realising that something odd was happening, she followed the crowd to see what was the commotion about.

"I saw a man lying face down on the platform. He wasn't breathing," said Ms Chen.

Another passenger, Ms Chen Mei Rong, 40, who was on the train, described to Lianhe Wanbao that she felt a slight jerk as the train approached the station.

After stopping for 15 minutes, the first two doors at the front of the train opened in order for passengers to get off.

Two sides to the story

Some passengers who were at the scene speculate that Mr Cai was knocked down because passengers who were behind him knew that a train was arriving and started pushing their way to the side of the platform, causing him to lose balance and ended up getting hit by the oncoming train.

Other passengers believe that he was feeling faint and started to sway, thus causing him to lose balance.

A media representative from SMRT told Lianhe Wanbao that the incident was purely an accident.

According to footage captured from security cameras in the station, suicide has been ruled out as Mr Cai was indeed knocked to the ground by the oncoming train.

Police have classified the cause of death as unnatural and are in the midst of investigations.

Wife appealing for eyewitnesses

Mr Cai's wife spoke to Lianhe Wanbao when reporters visited her at her house in Bukit Batok.

She told the Chinese evening daily that she received a phone call from the police this morning, informing her about her husband's death.

Mrs Cai also revealed that he had not been feeling well recently and suffered from high blood pressure. He was also on medication.

She is currently appealing for eyewitnesses to assist the police in their investigations.


  MRT hits, kills man
  Businesses offer goodies to encourage more spending
  Ho Ching to step down as CEO of Temasek
  Lease Buyback Scheme for the elderly
  More help to buy first home
  Cheaper lunch deals at McDonald's
  Excerpts: Tharman's budget debate speech
  Tang Wei in new romance movie
  StarHub: Sky bid doesn't affect us
  Budget: All the right stuff