MUMBAI, Feb 22, 2010 (AFP) - The death toll from a bomb blast that ripped through a packed restaurant in western India earlier this month has risen to 15, police said Monday, as an investigation continued into the attack.
Two students who were wounded in the February 13 bombing at the German Bakery restaurant in Pune died from their injuries overnight Saturday-Sunday, a police spokesman in the city told AFP.
"Nineteen people are still undergoing treatment for their injuries," the police spokesman said.
The explosion, caused by a bomb left in an abandoned bag under a table, came a day after India and Pakistan agreed to resume talks that were suspended after the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
A previously unknown Islamist outfit, which said it had splintered from a larger Pakistan-based group, claimed responsibility for the attack in a telephone call last week to the Indian English-language newspaper The Hindu.
The Germany Bakery was a popular hangout with young Indians and foreign nationals and was near a religious retreat frequented by overseas visitors.
Three foreigners were among the victims.