XINING (AFP) - Up to 2,000 people may have been pulled from the rubble of northwestern China's earthquake, with around 100 dead bodies recovered as rescue efforts ploughed ahead, reports said Thursday.
Different state media outlets issued conflicting reports, with China National Radio saying 2,038 people had been freed from quake debris while another report by China News Service said the figure was 1,045 rescued.
Official figures put the death toll in the quake in remote Qinghai province on the Tibetan plateau at 617, with more than 10,000 people hurt.
It is the deadliest in China since a massive 8.0 quake hit the southwestern province of Sichuan in May 2008, leaving at least 87,000 dead or missing.
The China News Service said more than 6,300 soldiers and armed police had been deployed in rescue efforts. They included army doctors, mine rescue teams, various other military units from around the country.
Another 2,200 police officers were to be sent by the Ministry of Public Security, it said.