SEOUL, Oct 12, 2010 (AFP) - Motor racing's world governing body gave the go-ahead Tuesday for South Korea's first Formula One Grand Prix later this month, organisers said, after doubts over the readiness of the circuit.
The track passed a final inspection from the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), the Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) said in a statement. It earned a top grade at the inspection led by FIA technical director Charlie Whiting on Monday, KAVO said.
The green light came less than two weeks before the race is scheduled to get under way at Yeongam, 320 kilometres (200 miles) south of Seoul.
The circuit has been constructed on reclaimed land by KAVO, a joint venture between a private firm and the provincial government.
Doubts had been raised whether the new circuit would be completed ahead of the race on October 24.
But F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone told Britain's Daily Express newspaper Saturday that the inaugural Korean Grand Prix would go ahead as planned.