A MAN has been arrested in connection with a power blackout at the Marina Bay Sands (MBS) casino last Wednesday.
He is believed to be a disgruntled engineer employed by a subcontractor of the integrated resort (IR), which was plagued by a series of blackouts over the course of a week following its opening on April 27.
A police spokesman said yesterday that a 35-year-old man had been arrested for his involvement in the hour-long blackout on May 12, which began 20 minutes after midnight and affected the gaming floor.
The case is being investigated under the Computer Misuse Act and he is now out on police bail.
An MBS spokesman confirmed yesterday that MBS had made a police report regarding the recent power disruption on its property.
She declined to elaborate, citing ongoing police investigations.
Last week, an MBS spokesman said the May 12 blackout affected a small area of the gaming floor.
Backup power was activated so "there was no disruption to the casino operations and minimal disruption to guests".
The casino patrons left the building and returned when power was restored.
MBS' woes with power supply began when the stage lights went out during the Inter-Pacific Bar Association's conference held earlier this month, while the Chief Justice of New South Wales in Australia was giving a speech.
Several delegates reportedly left, while the conference moved to a smaller hall. Power was restored after about half an hour.
Last Monday, a small power failure affected MBS retail stores for about five minutes.
According to Lianhe Wanbao, the suspect, who had apparently been unhappy with his job before the incident, used his employer's account to access the IR's computer network to trigger the blackout.
Suspecting something was amiss, MBS lodged a police report after the blackout.
Under the Computer Misuse Act, a person who uses a computer to secure illegal access to any program or data can be fined up to $5,000 or jailed up to two years, or both.
For more The Straits Times stories, click here.