13 dead in Mumbai building collapse

13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
Firefighters bring out a female survivor from the rubble at the site of a building collapse in Mumbai on September 27, 2013.

MUMBAI - A five-storey residential block collapsed in Mumbai at daybreak on Friday, killing at least 13 people and trapping dozens, in the latest building disaster to hit India's financial capital.

By Friday night, rescue workers had managed to pull out nearly 50 survivors from the debris of the flattened block, owned by the civic administrative body, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, in the east of the city.

Several diggers had been pressed into action to lift some of the larger slabs of concrete, allowing teams of rescuers wielding heavy equipment to take out bodies and search for those still alive.

Thirteen bodies were recovered, with rescuers also pulling out 20 injured people - all sent to local hospitals - and another 27 unharmed, according to an emailed statement from the corporation.

About 11 hours after the collapse, a young girl was pulled alive from the rubble to applause from the crowds. Another man was later rescued to shouts of praise for a popular Hindu god.

It was unclear how many remained trapped, but local officials said 22 families were housed in the block.

"My heart is thumping with fear. I'm just hoping," said a tearful housewife, Shanta Makwana, whose daughter and grandchildren were trapped inside the building in which she also used to live.

One woman covered in dark red patterned cloth was removed earlier in the day and carried to a waiting ambulance on a stretcher. Crowds of women waiting nearby could be heard sobbing.

A crushed teddy bear and a dismantled gas stove were among the items poking out from the rubble.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.