MUMBAI - A five-storey residential block collapsed in Mumbai at daybreak on Friday, killing at least three people and leaving dozens feared trapped inside, in the latest building disaster to hit India's financial capital.
Rescue workers scrambled to find survivors amid the debris of the flattened block, owned by the city's civic administrative body, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, in the east of the city.
"My son is inside. I'm waiting for them to get him out," distraught 62-year-old retiree Mithi Solakani told AFP as she waited with the crowds hoping for news of their neighbours and relatives.
Several diggers were pressed into action to lift some of the larger slabs of concrete, allowing teams of rescuers to begin the task of taking out bodies and searching for survivors.
One woman was removed covered in dark red patterned cloth and carried to a waiting ambulance on a stretcher. Crowds of women waiting nearby could be heard sobbing.
A crushed teddy bear and a dismantled gas stove were among the items poking out from the rubble.
"There are three deaths and 11 have been rescued up to 12 noon," Vijay Khabale-Patil, the corporation's spokesman, told AFP.
A list collated by corporation officials at the scene later showed 27 had been rescued with injuries and taken to a nearby hospital.
Local politician Bhai Jagtap said that 22 families lived in the destroyed block.
"The rest of the people are down below, calling people from inside. Rescuers are doing their level best to save lives," he said after visiting the scene.
The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) also said that 22 families were housed there.
Local commander Alok Avasthy, from the NDMA's response force, initially told AFP that up to 70 people were feared trapped.