6 S'poreans sent to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning in Taipei

6 S'poreans sent to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning in Taipei
PHOTO: Apple Daily

A Singaporean family of six was sent to hospital in Taipei for carbon monoxide poisoning on Friday (Dec 11).

According to Apple Daily, they were on holiday and were staying in a rental apartment at Xining South Road in Taipei City. The family, which consists of a 52-year-old man and his wife along with their four children, suddenly felt faint and were taken to hospital.

The incident occurred at about 12am on Friday morning. The family has recovered and plan to stay on in Taiwan, reported Apple Daily.

The source of the carbon monoxide gas is believed to be a water heater installed in the balcony. An article in Shin Min Daily News stated that the balcony window in the apartment was blocked by a plate, which resulted in poor circulation.

Police found that the concentration of carbon monoxide in the apartment was 50 to 60ppm. According to World Health Organisation guidelines, a person should not be exposed to carbon monoxide levels of 52ppm for more than 30 minutes.

Shin Min Daily News reported that a man, who is believed to be the house owner, is assisting police with investigations.

stephluo@sph.com.sg

More about

poisoning
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.