Some 780 Karen refugees were left homeless after a fire yesterday at a Karen refugee camp in Mae Hong Son's Muang district, which damaged 148 homes.
The cause of the fire, which broke out at 11am at Ban Mai Nai Soi camp in Tambon Pang Moo, was brought under control by 1pm. A boiling teapot left unattended on a stove at a refugee's home was reported to have caused the blaze, Muang district chief Sarawut Thaicharoen said.
Mae Hong Son police chief Pol Maj-General Jaruek Limsuwan said police were awaiting forensic test results to confirm the real cause of the fire.
As of press time, district officials set up a temporary shelter at a local school while some foreign organisations started to provide affected people with drinking water and relief items.