9 in Pakistan die from carbon monoxide poisoning

9 in Pakistan die from carbon monoxide poisoning
The location of Quetta in Pakistan

QUETTA, Pakistan - At least nine people, all women and children, died after inhaling noxious fumes from an electricity generator outside their house in southwest Pakistan on Thursday, officials said.

The incident happened in Killi Karbala village, 70 kilometres (40 miles) north of Quetta, the capital of oil and gas rich Baluchistan province, which borders Iran and Afghanistan.

"These people were asleep in the same room and inhaled poisonous gases emitted by an electricity generator installed outside their room," senior local administration official Bashir Ahmad Bazai told AFP.

He said the nine - three women and six children - were found dead Thursday morning.

Frequent blackouts due to a long-standing energy crisis in Pakistan have forced many to turn to generators to power their homes, but safety standards are generally low and deaths due to carbon monoxide inhalation are not uncommon.

Baluchistan is Pakistan's largest but least developed and most sparsely populated province, wracked for decades by a separatist insurgency.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.