Abu Sayyaf shows proof it received ransom for German hostages

Abu Sayyaf shows proof it received ransom for German hostages

PETALING JAYA - Abu Sayyaf has released video footage showing piles of cash reportedly worth PHP250 million (S$7 million) that was paid as ransom for the release of two German captives.

A spokesperson for the terror group, Muamar Askali (also known as Abu Rami), posted the video clip to Facebook last week as a means to quell reports that no ransom was paid to free German couple Stefan Viktor Okonek and Henrike Dielen, who were abducted in April.

However, the video was said to have been taken down on Saturday.

The Philippine Star reported that the militants were seen piling bundles of PHP1,000 bills into five stacks and placing it on top of a large black plastic bag.

The three-minute video clip also showed militants standing around the bundle of cash, with a black flag of the Islamic State visible in the background.

"We counter the Philippine government that they said that no ransom policy. And now for the sake of the Shariyah Islamiyah, the no ransom policy will be lost at this moment," Askali said in the video clip.

The commander of the Joint Task Group Basulta, Rear Admiral Reynaldo Yoma, who is in charge of the offensive against Abu Sayyaf, refused to comment on the ransom money reportedly paid, the daily reported.

It quoted Yoma as saying that the task group would pursue relentless operations to catch up with the Abu Sayyaf terror group, but not necessarily at the cost of collateral damage.

Two Malaysian hostages are currently among those held by the group, which is active in southern Philippines.

More about

Abu Sayyaf
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.