INDONESIA- The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) raided the office of Home Minister Gamawan Fauzi on Wednesday, as the antigraft body stepped up its investigation into a case surrounding the Rp 6 trillion (S$55 billion) national electronic identity (e-ID) card programme.
KPK spokesman Johan Budi said Gamawan's office was one of the four locations targeted by KPK investigators on Tuesday. Johan declined to comment if the raid would soon be followed by Gamawan being named a suspect in the case.
"From the raids, investigators seized both physical documents and electronic files," Johan said, refusing to give more details.
On Tuesday, the KPK named Home Ministry director of citizen administration information management Sugiharto a suspect in the case.
He was accused of committing malfeasance, given his authority as the official in charge of the e-ID card project when the alleged crime took place. KPK investigators charged Sugiharto with articles 2 and 3 of the 2001 Corruption Law, in conjunction with articles 55 and 64 of the Criminal Code (KUHP) on collective and continuous crimes.
The use of KUHP articles implies other parties may have played a role in the case, but so far, Sugiharto is the only named suspect.
KPK deputy chairman Bambang Widjojanto said investigators could summons Gamawan. "He could be summoned if investigators required information from him."
Bambang said the state lost more than Rp 1 trillion in the procurement of the e-ID card programme in 2011 and 2012.
"State losses resulting from the project are steep. Our preliminary estimate showed the state lost around Rp 1.1 trillion," he said.
He said money from the projects could have gone to a number of individuals and firms.