Arrests, revenge killing in PNG trekker attack case

Arrests, revenge killing in PNG trekker attack case
Injured trekkers Nick Bennett (front L), Peter Stevens (C) and Steve Ward (R) arrive at the airport in Cairns, Queensland on September 12, 2013 following their brutal attack by bandits in Papua New Guinea. The group of Australian and New Zealand trekkers were in their tents on the remote jungle-clad Black Cat Track in Papua New Guinea's northern Morobe province when a mob of six armed men struck at dusk on September 10.

SYDNEY - Four men were arrested Sunday in connection with a bloody ambush of Australian and New Zealand trekkers in Papua New Guinea, with another villager murdered for allegedly harbouring the bandits.

Police said the four were captured on Sunday morning - three in the town of Wau and a fourth in nearby Salamaua - in connection with the brutal attack on a hiking group on the remote Black Cat Track on Tuesday evening.

Two local porters were hacked to death with machetes and up to six others were seriously wounded. Four of the eight tourists were also hurt, including one who was speared in the leg, in a harrowing attack on the rugged jungle track.

"I believe it is only a matter of time before the other two are captured and brought in," police Commissioner Tom Kulunga said of Sunday's arrests.

He commended locals for their "tireless efforts" tracking down the men but urged them to leave matters to police, after a man accused of harbouring the suspects was killed with machetes by angry relatives of one of the dead porters.

Police intervened in the attack but were unable to save the man, who died from blood loss on the way to hospital.

"Whilst I encourage the local community to continue to assist police to capture the remaining attackers, I urge you not to take the law into your own hands," Kulunga said.

"There will be an investigation and the persons responsible for this recent death will be arrested. No one has the right to take anyone's life."

Ninga Yawa, the chairman of the Black Cat Trail Association, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation porter Matthew Gibob's family had killed the man in revenge.

"They felt that he deserves to be treated the same way as they treated Matthew," he said.

More about

Papua New Guinea
Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.