Bangkok blast: 48 victims still in hospital

Bangkok blast: 48 victims still in hospital
PHOTO: The Nation/ANN

Many of the victims are foreigners.

Of the injured victims, dozens have received medical treatment and been allowed to go home.

Speaking via a televised address, National Council for Peace and Order spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvaree yesterday said the Public Health Ministry would fully pay for the treatments.

"Relevant authorities such as the Justice Ministry, the Tourism and Sports Ministry, the Social Development and Human Security Ministry have been reaching out to the victims and their relatives," he added.

"They will get compensation and other forms of assistance".

He said that to date, relevant authorities had already successfully contacted 53 of the victims, and would quickly try to contact the rest.

Winthai also noted the outpouring of moral support for the victims and officials who have been working hard in this case.

Authorities are investigating the blast, considered the worst ever attack on Thai soil.

During his televised speech, Winthai said security measures had been tightened at attractions that were popular with Chinese tourists.

"The tightened security are for building confidence and easing the concerns of tourists," he said.

Located at the Ratchaprasong intersection, the Erawan Shrine has been popular among both locals and tourists.

It is known for attracting a number of Chinese tourists. Some Chinese nationals were killed during Monday's explosion.

More about

Bangkok blast
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.