Bangkok blast: Suspect 'looked very calm'

Bangkok blast: Suspect 'looked very calm'
PHOTO: The Nation/ANN

Yesterday, at the motorcycle-taxi rank on the corner of Anantara Siam Bangkok Hotel where the suspect got on a bike after the blast, the scene was bustling with reporters looking to speak to Kasem Pooksuwan - the motorbike-taxi driver who picked up the suspect.

However, after a six-hour interrogation session with police on Wednesday, Kasem did not come to the rank yesterday.

Weerachai Konla, another motorcycle-taxi driver who was also at the scene on Monday, said he did see the suspect but did not pay much attention to him, thinking he was just a normal customer.

"I did not see his face, but remember his yellow shirt. He looked very calm when he came to the rank and asked Kasem to take him to Lumpini Park, and showed him a piece of paper with some text on it," Weerachai disclosed.

He said the man was between 175 and 180 centimetres tall and looked like a Middle Easterner. He also spoke to Kasem in English.

"I don't think he's Thai, but I really don't know where he came from," he said.

Weerachai took this reporter to the area where the suspect got off near the Lumpini Park's parking lot, opposite Chulalongkorn Hospital about a kilometre from the motorbike rank.

Jinda Khunsanteai, a security guard at Lumpini Park who was just finishing his shift at around the time the suspect got off the bike, said he did not notice the man.

"It was chaotic around here because the bomb had just exploded and the road was filled with ambulances. I did not see anyone who looked like the suspect," he said.

"He might have entered the park through another gate.

"There are plenty of surveillance cameras around the parking lot and the police have checked the footage. I think they may already have some clues."

This reporter then went on to Silom Soi 9 - the site where earlier reports suggested the suspect might have gone to.

Athikrai Benjakul, a receptionist at the Nine @Silom Hostel, said police had visited the hostel to check customer records.

"The suspect did not stay at this hostel and as far as I know, he didn't stay in the other three hotels in the area either," he said.

However, he admitted that it was very difficult to find someone in that area of the city because there were no surveillance cameras in that alley and the closest security camera is on Sathorn Road.

Back at the motorcycle-taxi rank, Weerachai said all 12 members of the rank were working on Monday evening when the bomb exploded.

"I witnessed the aftermath with my own eyes and it was terrifying. I hope police catch the man who did this soon," he said.

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.