Disruptions of power and water services in Bangkok during a mass anti-government rally expected to begin on January 13 will not be tolerated, caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan said yesterday.
He said he had met with his ministry's permanent secretary and the governors of the Metropolitan Electricity Authority, the Provincial Electricity Authority, the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority and the Provincial Waterworks Authority, and all of them promised that they would not allow their services to be disrupted.
The People's Democratic Reform Committee, the main group clamouring for the overthrow of the current government, has threatened to disrupt the services as part of its plan to "shut down" Bangkok on January 13.
Meanwhile the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) said yesterday that it had yet to be invited by the Transport Ministry for a meeting on preparations for the PDRC action.
Deputy Bangkok Governor Amorn Kitchawengkul said such a meeting was necessary if the ministry is serious about mitigating the adverse effects on traffic in the capital.
Amorn said the BMA was using the Bangkok branch of the Internal Security Command Centre (Isoc), which is chaired by the Bangkok city clerk, to deal with the daily developments.
He said many surveillance cameras had been incapacitated by protesters who cut their electrical lines, turned them in the wrong direction or covered them with bags, but all these were being fixed.
Meanwhile, government ministries were also preparing to deal with the "Bangkok shutdown" on January 13.
The Energy Ministry plans to have executives and staff of agencies overseeing the country's electricity grid move to work at other places, said permanent secretary Suthep Liumsirijarern. However, he declined to reveal where they would go.