BEIJING - A Chinese museum marked the anniversary of the 1931 Mukden Incident Wednesday by revealing documents it said will help a compensation claim against Tokyo over forced labour in World War II.
Japanese soldiers blew up a railway in Manchuria 82 years ago as a pretext to take control of the whole northeastern Chinese region, and while the Asian giants are major trading partners their political relationship remains soured by Japan's brutal occupation before and during World War II.
They are currently at loggerheads over disputed islands in the East China Sea controlled by Tokyo but claimed by Beijing.
The Museum of the War of Chinese People's Resistance Against Japanese Aggression displayed more than 400 documents it said detailed how 40,000 Chinese were forced to work in Japan during the war.
"We are going to file lawsuits to the Japanese government to make them admit what they did, apologise and give compensation to the relatives of victims," deputy museum director Li Zongyuan told AFP.
A video was shown containing images of what it called "shameless" Japanese politicians visiting the Yasukuni war shrine, which commemorates more than two million Japanese war dead, including 14 Class A war criminals.
Beijing regularly accuses Tokyo of failing to atone for its imperialist past, while Japan says its neighbours use history as a diplomatic stick to beat it with.
Relatives of Chinese who were forced into labour have previously filed claims against Japanese corporations, and most of them have failed.
Japanese courts have previously said that China relinquished its rights to wartime compensation with the 1972 China-Japan joint agreement, which normalised relations between the two countries.