China says suspect caught in deadly bomb attack on provincial govt offices

China says suspect caught in deadly bomb attack on provincial govt offices
This picture taken on November 6, 2013 shows the scene of a blast (L) cordoned off by police following a series of bombs packed with ball bearings exploding outside a provincial headquarters of China's ruling Communist Party in Taiyuan, north China's Shanxi province, killing at least one person days after a fiery attack in Tiananmen Square.

BEIJING - A 41-year-old ex-convict has been detained by police over explosions that killed one person and injured another eight in North China's Shanxi province earlier this week, police said on Friday.

The suspect, Feng Zhijun, is a local resident of the provincial capital of Taiyuan. He admitted to the crime after his capture at 2 a.m. on Friday, according to the Public Security Department of Shanxi.

The explosions occurred on Wednesday morning in front of the office building of the Shanxi Provincial Committee of the Communist Party of China in Taiyuan. Among the eight injured, one was seriously wounded.

Police found self-made bombs in Feng's residence and seized the vehicle which they believe he was using at the time of the explosions.

Feng has previously served nine years in prison for theft, police said.

They are continuing investigation into the case.

The bombings came a little over a week after a fatal fiery car crash described by authorities as a "terrorist attack" at the symbolic heart of the Chinese state, Tiananmen Square, and days ahead of a highly anticipated meeting of top party leaders in Beijing.

 

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.