China's traffic police on alert after chemical blasts - Xinhua

China's traffic police on alert after chemical blasts - Xinhua
Firefighters in protection suits carry a a man playing the role of a victim on a stretcher during an anti-chemical drill next to storage tanks of liquefied petroleum gas, at a factory in Haikou, Hainan province, China, August 21, 2015. Nationwide inspections of facilities handling dangerous chemicals and explosives were ordered by China's State Council after the blasts at Tianjin port that killed at least 116 people last week.
PHOTO: Reuters

SHANGHAI - Chinese traffic police are on high alert nationwide for dangerous chemicals, ten days after a warehouse exploded in northeastern China killing at least 116 people, state media said on Saturday.

Two huge blasts in the warehouse storing dangerous chemicals in Tianjin, the world's 10th-busiest port, forced the evacuation of thousands of people after toxic chemicals were detected in the air.

The Public Security Ministry ordered police to increase roadside checks and tighten the approval process for transportation permits, the official Xinhua news agency said.

City officials have repeatedly said contaminants found in the wake of the blasts, including deadly sodium cyanide, pose no risk to the public.

But concerns about longer-term environmental degradation and the potential impact on human health have grown, particularly after authorities confirmed that more than 700 tonnes of sodium cyanide were stored at the warehouse that blew up.

More than 100 chemical firms across seven provinces have been told to shut down or suspend operations due to safety violations in recent days, announcements by regional governments show.

Chinese media reported the site of the explosions was too close to nearby homes and accused Tianjin Dongjiang Port Ruihai International Logistics, the firm whose warehouse exploded, of violating national regulations.

The regulations state that large warehouses which store dangerous chemicals should be at least 1,000 metres from public buildings and transportation networks, media said.

But a safety assessment report conducted about Ruihai before the explosions last week contradicted those rules, Xinhua reported.

The report found Ruihai met regulatory standards, despite being 310 metres away from a highway, 420 metres away from light rail and 970 metres away from residential areas.

The report reappeared on Tianjin Zhongbin Haisheng Health and Safety Evaluation and Monitoring Company's (Zhongbin Haisheng) website, Xinhua said on Saturday.

Zhongbin Haisheng's website had been inaccessible from Aug. 14, according to Xinhua, and it was unclear the exact time it became accessible again.

Ruihai executives have said they used connections to obtain safety approvals.

Public anger against the government has surged in Tianjin among residents of apartments near the blasts who believed authorities neglected to properly police Ruihai.

China's State Council, or cabinet, promised it would perform a timely and accurate investigation into the blasts, Xinhua said, citing a State Council official.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.