Following the fire that destroyed a Chinese-made Zhengzou Yutong Transjakarta bus last week, the Jakarta administration has ordered city-owned PT Transjakarta to take all other buses made by the same company off the road for further examination.
The bus exploded and caught fire near the Masjid Agung shelter in South Jakarta on its way from Kota Tua in West Jakarta to Blok M in South Jakarta.
No fatalities were reported in the incident.
"I have ordered Transjakarta to not operate those Yutong buses. That bus was purchased in 2013. How can it be broken already? There must be something wrong," Deputy Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama told reporters at City Hall in Central Jakarta on Monday.
Ahok added that an investigation to determine the cause of the explosion and fire were still underway.
"Next year, we will no longer purchase buses from the Chinese producer. I think it's best that we purchase top quality buses from Europe instead buses that are cheap but unsafe," he said.