Come clean on waterpark closure, Guan Eng urged

Come clean on waterpark closure, Guan Eng urged
Dampened spirits: Children looking at the abandoned Wet World Wild in Batu Ferringhi.

GEORGE TOWN - The state should come clean on issues involving the Wet World Wild (WWW) in Batu Ferringhi, said Penang Gerakan chairman Teng Chang Yeow.

The people of Penang want to know why the theme park, touted as Asia's first open-sea waterpark, has closed down barely eight months into operation.

"The project was done in collaboration with Penang Global Tourism. We want to know why a project involving a state agency can just cease like that," he said after opening the party's Deepavali open house at the state Gerakan headquarters in Jalan Macalister on Saturday night.

Teng said the colourful inflatable structures must be unsafe for it to be so easily damaged by the few high-wave incidents reported over the past couple of weeks, adding that the management had assured the public the waterpark was safe and the state government believed this.

Teng said although the waterpark was a private project, the state government should not just walk away from it as a state agency was involved.

"Initially, the plan was to complete the waterpark in five phases within a year at a cost of RM3mil but only one phase was launched in December last year. What has happened to the other four phases?" he asked.

"I do not buy the reason that the waterpark was closed just because of the strong waves: there must be more to it, and the state government must reveal the real reason behind the closure."

Last Thursday, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the company would have to decide if it wanted to proceed with its operations, and the state government would not interfere with the decision.

"The state is not involved with the business. We just collect the rental for the space and we did not suffer any losses."

WWW closed down about a week ago, just 10 months after it opened.

Theme Park Concepts and Services Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Datuk Richard Koh had said that the park would be closed until further notice.

He said strong waves during the super-moon phase early this month had caused some of the park's structures and equipment to be washed ashore and buried under the sand.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.