SEPANG: Eight people are still missing after a boat carrying 27 passengers sank in the waters near here. This is the second sinking within hours after the first one.
The survivors were saved by three merchant ships in the area that is about 10 nautical miles off the coast during the 3.30am incident on Wednesday.
All are believed to be Indonesians returning home for Ramadan.
The 19 survivors were sent to hospitals in Klang, Sungai Buloh and Banting. Some were injured but all were reported to be in stable condition.
Sepang OCPD Supt Mohd Yusoff Awang said the police were still searching for the missing passengers.
"We will continue until all are accounted for," he told a press conference.
Other agencies are assisting the police with the search.
Supt Mohd Yusoff said the police believed the cause of the sinking was strong currents but they were still investigating.
It is unclear if those on the ship are illegal immigrants.
Hours earlier, a boat ferrying 97 Indonesians sank off Kuala Langat.
In that incident, 63 passengers were saved - 50 men, 12 women and a five-year-old girl. Thirteen bodies had been recovered as of 6pm yesterday.
Twenty-one passengers were still missing, Kuala Langat OCPD Supt Azman Abdul Razak told a press conference yesterday.
A 52-year-old woman has claimed that her cousin was aboard the boat that sank off Kuala Langat.
Maryana Madan, who was at the search and rescue command centre at Kelanang Jetty, said she had been told by a friend that her cousin Kasmawati, 30, was on board.
She was trying to verify the information and check if Kasmawati was among the survivors.
"I have not been able to contact her after seeing her last week," said Maryana, adding that her cousin worked as a maid and later as a cook in Kuala Selangor.
According to her, Kasmawati's work permit had expired and she wanted to return to her home in Aceh.