A fire broke out early yesterday morning and engulfed 10 units of a commercial building in Soi Charoen Krung 23 in Bangkok's Pom Prab (Sattru Phai) district.
The fire, which began at about 4am at the two-storey building, took 10 fire engines almost an hour to extinguish. No one was hurt.
Somwang Saelim, 42, who lives nearby, told police that his family was sleeping when they heard someone shout "fire, fire" and they saw flames coming out of one of the units that quickly spread to other units.
"We gathered as much of our belongings as we could carry, and got out of the house," Somwang said.
He said the unit where the fire originated was abandoned, but a monk had been seen frequenting it because he was reportedly visiting his ailing mother at a nearby hospital. He said many locals suspected the monk may have caused the fire by lighting candles.
However, police suspect a short circuit as the cause, pending the results of a forensics probe. They will summon witnesses to shed light on the incident and try to locate the monk.