Five questioned over scuffle during Malaysia-Vietnam match

Five questioned over scuffle during Malaysia-Vietnam match
Selangor deputy CID chief ACP Rooslan Radzi, Mohd Adnan and ASP Nor Suzana Abd Majid holding up pictures of four new suspects being sought by the police in connection with the scuffle during the Suzuki Cup first leg semi-final in Shah Alam stadium.

SHAH ALAM - Five suspects believed to be involved in the scuffle with Vietnamese supporters during the AFF Suzuki Cup first leg semi-final on Sunday have surrendered for questioning to the police.

However, they were not arrested and were released soon after being interrogated Tuesday, said Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Mohd Adnan Abdullah.

Police are now looking for 10 more individuals believed to be involved in the crowd trouble in the Shah Alam stadium.

SAC Mohd Adnan corrected his previous announcement of 12 people, saying that police made the mistake of identifying two pictures of the same suspect as two difference people.

"So this means there were only 11 people we were looking for. However, we have identified four more individuals who can assist in investigations.

"After recording the five statements on Tuesday, we hope the remaining 10 individuals will cooperate and come forward," he told reporters during a press conference at the Selangor police headquarters here Wednesday.

He said the five who came forward, gave their explanation of the events leading to the scuffle with the Vietnamese fans.

However, he declined to reveal findings to the media, citing ongoing investigations.

SAC Mohd Adnan said police hoped to wrap up investigations soon.

He advised the general public to contact the nearest police station if they knew of the whereabouts of the remaining suspects or contact ASP Chang Sing Kong (016-773 3336) or ASP Mohd Amirul Abdullah (012-474 8870).

During the match, a group of Malaysian fans attacked visiting supporters after the national team conceded its second goal. Photographs of the brawl, which left several Vietnamese supporters injured, have went viral.

The ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) has since issued the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) a show-cause letter over the fracas.

It was the second case of crowd trouble during an international match this year.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.