Hong Kong protests: High Court orders protesters to leave Mong Kok immediately

Hong Kong protests: High Court orders protesters to leave Mong Kok immediately
Riot police (left) clash with pro-democracy protesters at the Mongkok shopping district, Hong Kong, on 19 October 2014.

HONG KONG - Hong Kong's High Court on Monday granted injunctions to ban protesters from occupying roads in Mong Kok, one day before their scheduled talks with the government.

The two injunctions were granted to representatives of the Taxi Association and the Taxi Drivers and Operators Association in one case, and to representatives of the Chiu Luen Public Light Bus Company in another. The orders are effective immediately, according to the South China Morning Post.

A deepening sense of impasse gripped Hong Kong as pro-democracy protests entered their fourth week, with the government having limited options to end the crisis and demonstrators increasingly willing to confront police.

Dozens of people were reportedly injured in two nights of clashes that began late on Friday in the densely populated Mong Kok district of the Chinese-controlled city, including 22 police. Four people were arrested early on Sunday, police said.

The area was calm early on Monday, although scores of protesters remained on the streets.

Hopes of easing the worst political crisis in Hong Kong since Britain handed the free-wheeling city back to China in 1997 rest on talks scheduled for Tuesday between the government and student protest leaders that will be broadcast live.

But few are expecting any resolution given the two sides are poles apart on how the city will elect its next leader in 2017.

"Unless there is some kind of breakthrough in ... talks on Tuesday, I'm worried we will see the standoff worsen and get violent," said Sonny Lo, a professor at the Hong Kong Institute of Education.

"We could be entering a new and much more problematic stage. I hope the government has worked out some compromises, because things could get very difficult now."

Students want free elections, but China insists on screening candidates first.

Hong Kong's Beijing-backed leader, Leung Chun Ying, has said the city's government was unwilling to compromise on China's restrictions, which were announced in late August.

Leung, who has rejected calls by protesters to quit, said on Sunday that more time was needed to broker what he hoped would be a non-violent end to the upheaval.

"To work out a solution, to put an end to this problem, we need time. We need time to talk to the people, particularly young students," he told Hong Kong's ATV Television. "What I want is to see a peaceful and a meaningful end to this problem."

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.