Jakarta not a safe city: Governor

Jakarta not a safe city: Governor
Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, acting governor of Jakarta, Indonesia.
PHOTO: The Jakarta Post

Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama admits that the capital city has not been a safe place for its citizens.

Ahok said on Saturday in response to a rape and robbery case that took place on a footbridge in South Jakarta last week.

"Jakarta is not yet safe," Ahok said at the City Hall as reported by news portal kompas.com.

Ahok stressed that the Jakarta administration would conduct measures to provide security and safety for all citizens. He said one of the efforts was to install closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras in various locations across the capital.

The city administration is also cooperating with the police and Army to provide security in Jakarta.

Ahok also urged all Jakarta citizens to participate in the Smart City mobile phone application named Qlue launched by his administration.

"Through Qlue, you can report if you feel that an area is crime-prone. Please report it so that the local community chiefs can supervise the areas and take action," he said.

People can download the application through Android or Apple's Playstore.

Security concerns were heightened in Jakarta in the wake of the rape and mugging of a woman on a footbridge in the Lebak Bulus area last week.

The woman was passing on a quiet pedestrian bridge on Saturday afternoon when she was mugged by a man who then raped her.

Jakarta Police located the suspect on Friday and shot him dead in the course of an altercation with officers as he tried to escape.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.