INDONESIA - The emergency response team and the Karo regency administration in North Sumatra have further informed the public about potential rescue operations.
Rescue activities could be carried out within a 10-kilometer radius of Mount Sinabung should a worst-case scenario become reality and more powerful eruptions occur.
Mount Sinabung Emergency Response commander Lt. Col. Meyer Putong said the condition of the volcano remained unsafe and was showing signs of increasing activity. He added that volcanic tremors were now constant.
"Mount Sinabung is still dangerous, so we have prepared a worst-case scenario in the event of a more powerful eruption," Meyer told The Jakarta Post on Friday.
According to Meyer, who is also Tanah Karo Military Command chief, the public had been notified of the worst-case scenario. He said the emergency response team had set up evacuation routes should the volcano erupt again.
"We have placed signs at every evacuation route so residents can follow them," said Meyer, adding residents would not have difficulties identifying the routes outlined by his team.
He said guidance on the rescue operation applied to residents living within a 10-km radius of the mountain's peak. Meyer added his team had prepared a number of shelters outside the regency, which would serve as shelters, such as Deli Serdang, Langkat and Dairi regencies. He added his team had also prepared vehicles to evacuate residents.
"We have 21 trucks on standby to evacuate residents. Ideally, we need more than 100 vehicles," said Meyer, adding the Bukit Barisan Provincial Military Command and other agencies had expressed a readiness to provide more vehicles for the evacuation process.
Meyer said based on the worst-case scenario, around 100,000 people would have to be evacuated in the 10-km radius of the volcano if conditions worsened.