SEOUL - North Korea on Monday lashed out at a new military pact between the South and the US aimed at guarding against potential nuclear attacks and threatened a "final destruction".
Seoul and Washington last week signed a new joint strategy to counter the growing threat of a North Korean nuclear or chemical weapons attack.
Defence chiefs of the two allies said the new "strategic framework" for dealing with "key North Korean nuclear threat scenarios" would greatly enhance their deterrence capacity in the wake of the North's third atomic test in February.
The two nations along with Japan are also to stage a massive joint naval drill near the Korean peninsula from Tuesday to Thursday involving the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS George Washington.
The North's Committee for Peaceful Reunification of Korea (CPK) baulked at the latest moves, describing them as "grave provocations" that would push the peninsula to the "brink of nuclear war".
"The latest military manouevres are creating a grave crisis on the peninsula - a tinderbox where any error of judgment or accident can trigger a nuclear war," the CPK said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.
"If the enemies continue to run amok in a plot against us, we will launch merciless pre-emptive attacks to bring them to a final destruction," it said. The isolated communist state has habitually condemned the joint army drills staged south of the border and has issued threats of counter-attacks that have rarely materialised.
The North's atomic test in February - its most powerful to date - triggered months of heightened military tension on the peninsula.