Coloured powder used during the 'Run with Colours' charity event held recently in the sultanate was non-flammable and certified safe, according to the event organiser Brunei Youth Council (MBB).
Speaking to The Brunei Times, MBB Head of International Relations Khairunnisa Ash'ari said the food-grade cornstarch was safe for use.
"Our supplier assured the safety of our powder and it is not flammable like the one in Taiwan," she said, referring to an explosion in late June this year at a Taiwan recreational water park, that was caused by flammable powder.
More than 500 people were injured in the explosion. The explosion at Taiwan's Formosa Water Park occurred when coloured powder caught fire as organised sprayed it on party goers who were crowding around the stage.
"I am not sure what (type of) flour was used in the Taiwan incident… but ours definitely are not flammable as we have tested them," Khairunnisa said.
"For the powder to go through customs, according to the Ministry of Health, it would have to be deemed safe."
She said they will not use the cornstarch powder if it gives harm to the participants.
"We sent (powder) samples to the Ministry of Health and they said that since the powder went through customs, it is safe…" she added.
As the event organiser, the council will need to go through appropriate channels to ensure the products are safe prior to the usage, she said.
Around 4,000 people joined the charity run where they were thrown coloured powder made from food-grade cornstarch, which is 100 per cent biodegradable and non-toxic, at various checkpoints.
The event was held on June 7 at the National Stadium in Berakas.
The "Colour Run" was a concept made popular by the official Color Run crew in the United States, which is also known as the "Happiest 5k On The Planet".
Meanwhile, MBB event partner Armtrix Enterprise helped obtain the powder from the United Kingdom.
"The powder is certified in Europe and all we know, it is safe to use them (the powder)…" said a representative from Armtrix.
The product safety data sheet obtained from Armtrix states that "the product is not classified as dangerous for carriage".
Some of the victims in the Taiwan explosion suffered burns on more than 40 per cent of their bodies while two women in their early 20s had 80 per cent burns.
News reports said the fire and explosion could be "due to heat from the lights on the stage" and the soaring temperature reaching 36.6 degrees Celsius in Taipei.