Rotten ginger fumes blamed in 5 deaths

Rotten ginger fumes blamed in 5 deaths

Five people harvesting ginger died on Friday when heavy rain caused a rotten patch of the root to emit poisonous carbon monoxide, local authorities said.

A couple in Dafeng village of Qimen county, Anhui province were found unresponsive on Friday morning in a pit used for storing ginger, a spokesman with the county government said.

Three villagers who tried to pull them out fell unconscious and died before others called the police.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.