Singaporean 'probably died from sex drug overdose'

Singaporean 'probably died from sex drug overdose'

A Singaporean man was found dead in a hotel room in Jakarta on Monday, allegedly after having sex with a woman.

Mr Ong Eu Dhee, 62, died after being intimate with Ms Siti Nurmasitoh, 37, around 8am, (9am, Singapore time) at Wisma Indonesia Hotel at Cilincing, North Jakarta, Indonesian police said.

Indonesian media Tribun News quoted assistant commissioner of police Andri Suharto, head of the Crime Investigation Department in Cilincing, as saying: "Siti was the victim's sleeping partner. In her statement, she said that the man had collapsed beside the bed. That was after they had sex."

Mr Ong had arrived in Jakarta for a holiday on Friday.

"Siti was contacted to accompany the victim in the hotel.

"According to the witness, she knew the victim from about a year ago when she was working in Batam," Mr Andri said.

He added that Ms Siti was showering after they had sex when she heard a thud.

"(She) heard a sound, as though something had fallen.

"She came out from the bathroom and became hysterical when she saw the victim was lying face down on the floor, right beside the bed," said Mr Andri.


Preliminary investigations showed no signs of violence on the body, he said.

"We suspect that he probably died from an overdose of sex drugs. That was because we found several male enhancement pills in his hotel room."

Indonesian police also reportedly recovered from the scene, among other things, two pornographic DVDs, various sex drugs, a Singapore passport and two hotel receipts in Mr Ong's name.

Five cans of unopened beer and an empty beer can were also found.

The police did not reveal if the victim consumed legitimate, clinically proven male enhancement pills or if he bought dangerous knock-offs available in many stores in the city, media reports said.

A staff member of the hotel, who gave his name only as Ridhwan, told The New Paper that it was the first time the victim had stayed at the hotel.

When TNP visited Mr Ong's four-room flat in Yishun last night, his family members were not in.

A neighbour in his 50s, who declined to be named, said Mr Ong is married and has three grown-up children - two daughters and a son, as well as grandchildren.

A search on the Registry of Marriages Singapore website showed that Mr Ong has been married for 41 years.

Neighbours and friends described the couple as loving, often seen hanging out at a nearby coffee shop or cycling together to nearby places for meals.

A man who gave his name only as Ah Meng, 51, said he was a close friend of Mr Ong's.

He said he met him for drinks almost every day after work, except on days when Mr Ong went to Indonesia, where he is said to have had a freshwater fish farm.

He said he became worried when he did not see Mr Ong for several days and could not contact him.

"I asked around and someone in Indonesia told me that he had died after he slipped and fell in the toilet," he said in a mix of Hokkien and Mandarin.

He described Mr Ong as a good-natured person and said his family members could have gone to Indonesia to claim his body.

This article was first published on March 25, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.