Biker cheats death at bridge

Biker cheats death at bridge
Muhamad Asraf receiving medical treatment from rescue personnel.

GEORGE TOWN: Chargeman Muhamad Asraf Mohd Fauzi is lucky to be alive. The motorcycle he was riding rammed the rampart of the Penang Bridge, causing him to be flung into the sea.

Muhamad Asraf, 28, from Kulim, Kedah, was riding to work from the mainland to Penang island when the incident happened at KM7.8 of the bridge.

A fishing boat, which was near the spot where Muhamad Asraf fell, rescued him and took him to the marine police base in Batu Uban.

Marine Police Region 1 chief Asst Comm Marzuki Che Shuib said a patrol boat was alerted of the incident, which happened at about 9am yesterday, and rushed to the scene.

"We escorted the fishing boat to the Batu Uban jetty, where a team from the Prai Fire and Rescue Department's Emergency Medical Rescue Services unit gave Muhamad Asraf medical aid," he said when contacted yesterday.

Muhamad Asraf was then sent to the Penang Hospital to undergo further treatment.

State Fire and Rescue Department spokesman Mohd Azman Hussin said in a statement that Muhamad Asraf could have been rammed from the back by a lorry before he hit the rampart and fell into the sea.

He said, however, that there was no lorry at the scene when department personnel arrived at 9.22am.

George Town OCPD Asst Comm Mior Faridalathrash Wahid said the victim suffered minor injuries and was traumatised.

He also said PLUS Malaysia Bhd had confirmed that CCTV footage showed there were no other vehicles involved in the accident.

"The victim crashed against the rampart on his own and fell off the bridge," ACP Mior Faridalathrash said.

He added that the incident was being investigated under Section 43(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless driving.

Muhamad Asraf was in a semi-conscious state when met at the Penang Hospital yesterday.

Penang Hospital Visitors Board chairman Lim Thoon Deong said Muhamad Asraf fractured his right leg and had water in his lungs.

"However, his condition is stable and he has requested to be transferred to a private hospital in Bukit Mertajam," said Lim.

Muhamad Asraf was transferred at about 4.30pm yesterday.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.