Burning October claims yet another fire victim

Burning October claims yet another fire victim

SINGAPORE - October has been a month of raging fires and multiplying tragedies.

Yesterday, a 53-year-old man was found dead at the bottom of his Boon Lay Drive block of flats, making it the third death arising from a fire-related incident this month.

To put the number in context, there was only one fire-fuelled fatality through the whole of last year.

In the first half of this year, there wasn't a single death resulting from fire, according to statistics published by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).

Early October saw life in Singapore thrown out of gear by the SingTel fire and things have only got worse since then.

In yesterday's incident, SCDF said it received a call at 2.17am regarding a fire at a 10-storey flat in Boon Lay Drive.

Firefighters had to force their way into the one-room dwelling, where a mattress in the living room was on fire. The blaze was extinguished within 10 minutes, SCDF said.

Meanwhile, a man said to be the flat's resident was found lying dead at the foot of the block. Reports said an eyewitness had seen the man fall to his death.

Earlier, on Saturday morning, a 67-year-old man died after a fire broke out in his Marine Crescent flat. The man, who was visually impaired and lived with his wife, was alone at home. Firefighters took 45 minutes to put out the blaze.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.