Firms try to work around Do-Not-Call Registry

Firms try to work around Do-Not-Call Registry

SINGAPORE - Businesses have been trying out new marketing initiatives in a bid to get around the Do-Not-Call Registry, which came into force on Thursday to prevent unwanted calls and text messages.

Some have contacted consumers to seek their consent to offer them marketing materials.

Others tried their luck by spamming consumers with advertising text messages before the registry kicked in, marketing players told The Straits Times.

By listing their numbers on the registry, consumers can block telemarketing calls and texts.

Companies must now check the numbers they call against the registry every 60 days.

This will be cut to 30 days from July.

Telemarketers who call numbers listed on the registry risk a maximum fine of $10,000.

Several multinational corporations have sought explicit consent from customers to send them marketing materials.

Cerebos Pacific, the maker of Brand's Essence of Chicken, did this last month.

A spokesman said the company is "committed to upholding and respecting our customers' rights to privacy and personal data protection".

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.