Garuda Aksi Siaga to Rebuild Smiles on Lombok Island
- Garuda Aksi Siaga (#GAS) refugee camps in North Lombok, East Lombok and West Lombok currently accommodates more than 2,000 refugees
- Donations can be channeled through BNI Syariah account: 6000-333-19 on behalf of Yayasan Generasi Paripurna Cendekia
JAKARTA, Indonesia, Sept. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- 574 earthquakes occurred from July 29 to August 19, 2018, turning the islands of Lombok and West Nusa Tenggara into rubble. Based on data compiled from the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB), as of August 20, 2018, 515 people were confirmed dead, more than 7,000 people were injured, and the number of refugees reached around 431,000 - scattered in various refugee posts.
Amid the post-disaster recovery period, the humanitarian organization Komunitas Lingkar Profesi Generasi Paripurna Cendekia (Korps Garuda) in collaboration with Terang Jakarta youth community will hold a series of activities entitled 'Building Smiles on Lombok Island' from September 18-20 2018, at the Garuda Aksi Siaga (GAS) refugee camp in Wadon, Kekait Village, Gunung Sari District, West Lombok. This program aims to restore the spirit of victims and refugees affected by disasters, so they can be productive in carrying out their respective livelihoods.
The activities of 'Building Smiles on Lombok Island' comprises:
- Trauma and mental healing by Korps Garuda's psychologists team and Ustadz Abu Fida
- Free medical examination and treatment by the Korps Garuda's medical team
- Distribution of donations and humanitarian assistance
- Construction of semi-permanent schools in East Lombok
- Worship house (mushalla) construction at Darul Qur'an Islamic Boarding School in West Lombok
- Construction of at least 10 temporary housing units
"Apart from food and clothing, it is important for the refugees to recover their livelihoods. Trauma healing activities at West Lombok camp that accommodates 247 families, 726 refugees are just the beginning. After this, we will schedule similar activities in the North Lombok and East Lombok posts," said Oji Manurung, Chairman of Korps Garuda. "We have currently distributed IDR 170 million, equal to 80% of the donations collected from the community, in the form of logistical supplies and basic needs such as food, toiletries, sanitary napkins, baby and elderly supplies, clothes to wear, etc.," he concluded.
The Garuda Corps continues to invite Indonesians and global citizens to contribute to meeting the needs of refugees through the #GAS post, namely toiletries, clothing, blankets, educational equipment, worship equipment. Any donation items can be sent directly to the address below:
Posko Logistik #GarudaAksiSiaga #GAS
Jl. Raya Meninting no.27, Meninting, Batulayar 83355, Lombok, Indonesia.
Please confirm via Ms. Soraya Al-Rashid (Mobile: +6281236323616)
Donations can also be channeled through BNI Syariah accounts: 6000-333-19 on behalf of Yayasan Generasi Paripurna Cendekia.