SINGAPORE - A bride-to-be was shocked to discover that the kitchen in her $1.58-million Executive Condominium (EC) unit floods each time it rains.
The 25-year-old woman's mother Madam Xie Meiying, 55, told Shin Min Daily News that her daughter bought the four-room Heron Bay unit in 2012. The EC is located at Upper Serangoon View.
Her daughter, who is set to get married in March this year, received the keys to the flat last November and planned to move in at the end of last year.
On Christmas Eve last year, a heavy downpour led the new owners to discover that rainwater flooded the kitchen from the balcony and flowed into the living room area.
According to Shin Min, the unit's design is such that the kitchen has windows and grilles but it is linked to an open concept balcony which does not have any windows to keep rain out.
"When it rained, all the water gushed in," said Madam Xie, a tutor.
After lodging a complaint with the developers, a large sheet of plastic was used to cover the open area, but Madam Xie said it looks unsightly.
They have since requested for windows to be fitted in, added Madam Xie.
I don't know where to live after wedding: Home owner
The soon-to-be-wed couple has bought furniture but they have been postponing its delivery so that the issue can be resolved first.
Wedding guests who specially flew in from Taiwan were supposed stay at their new home but these plans have now been thwarted, leaving them to make alternative arrangements.
The couple too, are not sure where to live after their wedding.
Open kitchen concept
The developers told the Chinese-language newspaper that the kitchen was designed with an airy open concept in mind - and is commonly seen in homes today.
When home owners bought units in the EC, they signed an agreement not to install any other fixtures without the developers' approval.
However, in view of different tenant's needs, the developers have allowed home owners to install additional windows or grilles.
Madam Xie also highlighted other issues in the unit. She claimed that there are wall cracks in the master bedroom where rainwater can again seep in.
The developer refuted this claim after checks were done by experts and structural engineers.
Madam Xie was also concerned about the proximity of the lightning protection device located outside the master bedroom. She said that she can touch it by outstretching her hand and feels that it is unsafe.
The developer said the device's design and installation has been tested and checked for safety.