SINGAPORE - Police have arrested a 28-year-old man believed to be involved in a case of aggravated outrage of modesty at Ubi Ave 1 last Friday.
Police believe that the suspect molested and assaulted a female victim at a HDB block before fleeing. The victim called '999' to report the case immediately.
The man was identified with the help of CCTV footage captured inside the lift and arrested on Monday night.
He faces court on Wednesday for the charge of aggravated outrage of modesty. If convicted, he can be jailed between two to ten years and may also be caned.
The police said in a statement today that members of the public should stay vigilant of their surroundings.
Here are some precautions that women can take to minimise the risks of becoming a victim:
- Be wary of strangers who approach you in crowded areas;
- Stay close to your friends or move around in groups when in crowded places;
- Be aware and alert of your surroundings. If someone stands exceptionally close to you, or if you suspect that you are being followed, remain calm and proceed to a crowded area or call the Police for assistance;
- Avoid taking short-cuts through dark and deserted places. Keep to well-lit areas where there are more people and traffic;
- Do not enter the lift with a stranger. Let the stranger take the lift and wait for the next one;
- Where possible, do not nap whilst travelling on public transport;
- When coming home late at night, get someone to escort you home; and
- If you are molested, immediately shout for help or activate your shrill alarm. Take note of the description of the culprit, the direction and mode of escape taken by the culprit. Call '999' as soon as it is safe to do so.