More than 500 fibre-broadband subscribers were cut off from the Internet yesterday because of MRT construction work in Kim Seng Road.
The disruption lasted more than eight hours for some and affected customers of all the major Internet service providers (ISPs) here - Singtel, StarHub, M1, MyRepublic and ViewQwest.
In a statement late yesterday, national fibre-broadband network builder NetLink Trust, formerly OpenNet, said it had detected a network disruption at 10.40am.
The Land Transport Authority, in a separate statement, apologised for the disruption. It said its Thomson-East Coast Line contractor had damaged a section of NetLink Trust's fibre optic cables while carrying out piling works at the upcoming Great World station site.
The disruption affected pockets of fibre broadband users in Bukit Merah, Outram, Tanjong Pagar and Tiong Bahru. Service restoration was still in progress as at 6.30pm yesterday.
ISPs buy fibre links wholesale from NetLink Trust and then sell their use to customers.
To enjoy such broadband services, end-users must wait for NetLink Trust to install fibre optic cables and connection points before they can start surfing.
Singtel said on its Facebook page late yesterday that Netlink Trust had estimated services to be fully restored by midnight.
The Infocomm Development Authority, the sector regulator, said it was monitoring the situation to ensure affected services were restored quickly.
The last time fibre links were damaged was in Bukit Batok last month. The disruption, which lasted 12 hours, was due to cable cuts caused by a third-party Power Grid contractor doing excavation works.
This article was first published on June 12, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.