Phone charger explodes

Phone charger explodes

She was less than an arm's length from her phone charger when it let out a loud, sharp "pop".

To Miss Shermain Chew's horror, she woke up from her nap and saw smoke coming out of the adapter of her charger, which was connected to her Samsung Note, on Saturday afternoon.

"It felt like a balloon had burst in front of me, just that it was louder," said Miss Chew, 25, a procurement executive.

She admitted the USB cable that connected the adapter to her phone was not an original Samsung product. She had bought the third-party accessory for "about $4" from a store in the Orchard Road area six months ago.

An original cable costs $30 at a Samsung Mobile store.

When she took a closer look at the adapter, it was charred and the casing had broken in two.

The incident also caused a power trip in her HDB flat in Jurong.

"I tried working the switch box but the power wouldn't come back on. I called the Singapore Power hotline and requested for help.

"My brother then went to meddle with the electrical circuits outside our flat and somehow the electricity came back on before the technicians arrived."

Luckily, there was no damage to the furniture in her living room, she said.

"In fact, the USB cable and my phone were also fine. It was just the adapter that was fried," she added.

She said she had been using third-party USB cables for almost three years, but said this was the first time she had encountered such an incident.

"I was shocked and traumatised that something like this could happen," she said.

"But when I posted what happened on Facebook, a friend replied, saying his phone charger had also exploded."

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.