Probe as M1 resumes taking iPhone orders

Probe as M1 resumes taking iPhone orders

SINGAPORE - M1 resumed taking pre-orders for the new Apple iPhones on its website about 12 hours after announcing a suspension prompted by a security loophole.

Around 8am yesterday, M1 said on Facebook that the breach had been rectified.

It apologised for the incident, saying a full review will be conducted.

A customer had alerted M1 to the potential breach of security on Sunday night. This came after he had hacked into the website by mistake, The Straits Times reported.

"M1 places the utmost priority in protecting our customer data and privacy and has implemented strict processes and procedures to safeguard customer information including regular security audits," the company said.

M1 started taking pre-orders for the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus last Friday.

The Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) is investigating the issue, Channel NewsAsia reported.

"Under the Personal Data Protection Act, organisations are required to make reasonable security arrangements to protect personal data in their possession or under their control in order to prevent unauthorised access, collection, use or similar risks," it quoted a PDPC spokesman as saying.


This article was first published on Sep 17, 2014.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.