Fire in Tampines flat, no one injured

Fire in Tampines flat, no one injured
The fire yesterday started in one of the bedrooms of the Housing Board flat at Block 496C in Tampines Street 43.

A fire broke out yesterday afternoon in a Housing Board flat in Tampines Street 43.

Residents in the area reported seeing thick, black smoke coming out from an 11th-floor unit just after 1pm.

The fire, which began in a bedroom in the unit, was put out by about 1.45pm, said a Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) spokesman. "We received a call at 1.24pm of a fire at Block 496C Tampines Street 43... and despatched two fire engines, one red rhino, one ambulance and one support vehicle," said the spokesman.

"Upon arrival, the unit was locked, so SCDF personnel gained entry into the unit using breaking tools. The fire involved contents in one of the bedrooms and was extinguished using one waterjet."

There were no occupants in the flat at the time of the fire and no one was injured, said the SCDF.

Some residents living on the ninth to 13th floor of the block were evacuated from their homes.

Tampines resident Jeryl Ong, 24, told The Straits Times he was in his bedroom just after 1pm when he heard a scream.

"I looked up and I saw thick, black smoke rising above the roof of the block," said Mr Ong, who lives in Block 495A, which faces the affected block.  

"It must have been quite noticeable from a distance," said the undergraduate, adding that the smoke was thick and rose high enough to form a "small cloud".

dansonc@sph.com.sg


This article was first published on Jan 02, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

 

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.