This recipe was first published in Amy Beh's column, Cook's Nook.
Course: Main Dish
Cuisine: Asian, Malaysian, Thai
100ml thick coconut milk
Spice paste (finely ground)
2 stalks lemongrass
5 green bird's eye chillies
4 green chillies
3 cloves garlic
2.5cm dried shrimp paste (belacan)toasted
2 thin slices galangal
2cm knob fresh turmeric
1/2tsp black peppercorns
150g salted fishcleaned
3 long beanscut into 3cm lengths
1 torch ginger budsplit and finely sliced
3 kaffir lime leaves
1tbsp fish sauce
1tsp sugaror to taste
- Pour coconut milk into a saucepan and add in ground spice paste.
- Cook until fragrant. Pour in water and cook until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add salted fish, then the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the seasoning, and adjust to taste if necessary
- Dish out and serve with hot steamed rice.