120 pupils down with food poisoning after drinking milk

120 pupils down with food poisoning after drinking milk

MUAR - Nearly 120 pupils of SJK Chin Kwang Wahyu in Parit Jawa here came down with food poisoning apparently after drinking some milk.

The Year One to Year Six pupils were immediately treated by health teams from the Parit Jawa health clinic, which rushed to the school. Some of the pupils, however, were sent to the clinic.

"It all started on Thursday afternoon when 16 pupils complained about stomach ache and went to the toilet several times.

Then at about 7am today (Friday), 113 of them showed similar symptoms and we alerted the Muar Health Department," headmaster Chong Guat Yen said yesterday.

Chong said the school board of directors was alerted and they decided that the school be closed early for the day.

This was to enable parents to take their children home, even for those who were not affected by the food poisoning, she added.

She said the team of health officers also decided to station an ambulance at the school to give immediate treatment, including drips, to those who were ill.

Most of the pupils were treated at the school while 30 were rushed to the Parit Jawa health clinic as they suffered serious purging problem.

"The health team has taken some milk samples to check whether it was the cause of the problem and the Muar Education Department is also investigating the incident," she said.

A PTA committee member of the school, Si Boon Chong, said his daughter Boon Hui, who is in Year Five, started purging when she arrived at the school in the morning.

"She is now weak due to the purging," he said before taking the girl home.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.