Baby chokes to death

GEORGE TOWN - A 17-day-old baby boy apparently choked to death after drinking milk from a bottle.

Apparently, Ng Kian Weng's mother found her baby unconscious and his face had turned blue in the family apartment in Relau at about 6am.

The baby was rushed to a nearby private hospital about 3km away, but doctors pronounced him dead on arrival.

It was learnt that the mother had fed the baby, who was born on the second day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri, at about 4am yesterday.

The baby is the couple's second child.

OCPD Asst Comm Gan Kong Meng said police received a call from the hospital at about 7.20am.

He said a post mortem conducted by Dr Ariza Kamaruddin of the Penang Hospital suggested that the boy died of milk aspiration.

"Initial investigations showed no visible injuries on the boy," he said.

"We have ruled out foul play and the case has been classified as sudden death.

"Nevertheless, investigations are still ongoing," he added.

Over at the hospital mortuary, family members were in sombre mood when they claimed the body at about 1.30pm.

A small coffin was specially brought in and family members had also brought along the baby's belongings, milk powder and toys.

He was cremated at the Batu Gantong crematorium.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.