Hair dye allergy swells woman's head to twice its size

Hair dye allergy swells woman's head to twice its size
PHOTO: Pixabay

A Frenchwoman experienced a severe allergic reaction after she applied hair dye that caused her head to swell in a bulbous shape, doubling its original size.

Nineteen-year-old Estelle from Paris first took antihistamines after her scalp started getting itchy from applying the hair dye. The next morning, Estelle was greeted with a swollen tongue and an alarmingly bloated head, as reported by French outlet Le Parisien via Unilad.

The English student was rushed to Mondor Hospital in Creteil to receive medical attention. On the way, her head continued to swell, and upon arrival at the hospital it measured 6,363cm in circumference.

"I could not breathe, I had a light bulb head," said Estelle.

ALSO READ: Korean man's head balloons after dyeing hair in salon

An adrenaline shot was administered to Estelle and she was asked to stay in the hospital overnight. Doctors pronounced her out of danger the next day, according to the report.

Based on the examination, Estelle was allergic to the compound paraphenylenediamine (PPD), a substance found in 90 per cent of hair dyes.

Estelle also admitted to skimping on the patch test. Before applying hair dye, users are required to do a patch test and wait for 48 hours to monitor any adverse reaction to the chemicals. She applied the hair dye after only 30 minutes of doing the patch test.

"I almost died, I don't want something similar to happen to other people," shared Estelle.

Her mother commented that the instructions and warnings on the chemicals should be clearer to help prevent other users from taking shortcuts like Estelle did.

More about

Allergies FRANCE
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.