Oyster overdose leads to heart failure

Oyster overdose leads to heart failure

HONG KONG - A 76-year-old man from Hong Kong suffered heart failure and other complications after eating over 20 oysters in one meal, reported China Press.

The man, known only as Choi, was diagnosed with coronary heart disease in 1993, but had never paid attention to what he ate, said the daily.

One night, he invited his friends to go out for a steamboat meal, where he had nearly two dozen oysters.

Choi returned home but had diarrhoea the next day. He thought it was just food poisoning and only realised the seriousness of his condition after being checked by doctors, who said he had heart failure.

Experts said oysters were high in sodium and potassium and could affect the kidneys and heart.

Choi was saved after spending 10 days at the intensive care unit, but his kidneys were damaged.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.