Indian man savagely attacks compatriot after pretending to help him

Indian man savagely attacks compatriot after pretending to help him
CRIME SCENE: Investigators at the Kampong Java Flyover where Indian national Raju Arivazhagen’s decomposing body was found.

After viciously beating a man, Indian national Periyasamy Devarajan, 23, stripped his victim and left him to die.

All that for the man's mobile phone.

His victim's decomposing body was discovered under the secluded Kampong Java Flyover nearly two days later.

Periyasamy yesterday pleaded guilty in the High Court to culpable homicide for attacking his compatriot, Mr Raju Arivazhagen, 31, during a robbery.

Pretending to help Mr Raju find his lost wallet in the early hours of Feb 8, 2012, Periyasamy led him to under the flyover where he bashed him with a rock, tree branch and three heavy concrete slabs.

He then took off Mr Raju's trousers and underwear to rummage through the pockets.

Periyasamy left the man lying in a drain under the flyover.

Court documents said that Periyasamy started working as a construction worker for a scaffolding company in October 2011. But by Jan 21, 2012, he stopped going to work and four days later, stopped returning to his dormitory.

His $800 salary was withheld. Periyasamy also owed money to his uncle, who paid for him to work in Singapore.

On Feb 7, 2012, which was also the Hindu festival of Thaipusam, Periyasamy met his brother for a drink at around Tekka market at about 7.40pm.

When his brother left at 11.30pm, Periysamy walked to a football field near the Little India MRT station.

Along the way, he found the wallet that Mr Raju had dropped. After taking $20 and an ez-link card inside, Periyasamy threw the wallet away.

That same day, Mr Raju, also a construction worker, left work early.

Married with no children, he went to two temples with friends to mark Thaipusam, going on to Little India for drinks at about 9.20pm.

By about 12.45am, Mr Raju seemed slightly drunk so a friend accompanied him to Dorset Road where he hailed a taxi.

But Mr Raju quickly alighted when he realised he had dropped his wallet, going back to search for it.

He ran into Periyasamy and asked if he had seen a black wallet.

Periyasamy said yes, and led Mr Raju to the flyover to rob him.

Standing at 1.72m, Periyasamy is at least half a head taller than Mr Raju, who was 1.54m tall.

CCTV footage from the Tanglin Police Divisional Headquarters (Tanglin HQ) showed the men walking towards the flyover at 2.32am. It takes about three minutes to walk from Tanglin HQ to the flyover.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.