110 in Muar hit by food poisoning after consuming seafood

110 in Muar hit by food poisoning after consuming seafood
PHOTO: The Star/Asia News Network

MUAR, Malaysia -  Some 110 students and teachers from Kolej Vokasional Muar here were hit by food poisoning after consuming a seafood spread prepared by the hostel kitchen.

Johor Health, Environment, Information and Education Committee chairman Datuk Ayub Rahmat said the feast on Sunday was to celebrate the end of their school term.

He said the seafood including mussels, prawns and crabs, was served in a "shell out" style where it was placed on tabletops and eaten without plates.

"The Maharani Health Clinic started receiving food poisoning notifications starting 3.30pm Sunday when 30 students complained of symptoms such as nausea, stomach cramps and diarrhoea.

Ayub said the celebration was attended by 380 students and teachers, so checks were going on to determine if others might have been affected by the outbreak.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.