2 charged over KL crash that killed couple, infant

2 charged over KL crash that killed couple, infant

KUALA LUMPUR - A restaurant assistant manager and an optical technician were charged in a packed magistrate's court with driving dangerously and causing the deaths of a businessman, his wife and their baby girl at Duke Highway last Saturday.

Siti Noor Aini Mohd Said, 35, who appeared with stitches on her upper lip, allegedly committed the offence while at the wheel of a yellow Myvi at KM6.2 of the highway from Ulu Klang towards Jalan Duta at about 1.05am.

The accused showed no emotion when the charge under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 was read to her in Bahasa Malaysia before magistrate Noorul Fhaiez Mohd Nayan yesterday. She claimed trial to the charge.

The accident on May 2 killed Fairuz Nizam Husain, 35, Nova Safitri Azhari, 27, and six-month-old Nur Firuza Annisa Fairuz.

Under the Act, Siti Noor Aini faces a maximum of 10 years' jail and up to a RM20,000 (S$7,400) fine upon conviction.

Co-accused Mohammad Fizal Reza Jamauddin, 31, who was driving a white Myvi, also pleaded not guilty to the charge under the same Act.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Suhaimi Ibrahim offered bail at RM15,000 in one surety each and urged the court to suspend their driving licences and impound their passports.

In asking for a lower bail, Siti Noor Aini's counsel S. Prakash said his client was supporting her mother and an eight-year-old child on a monthly RM2,000 salary.

Hashim Ibrahim, acting for Mohammad Fizal, said the latter was married with two children aged two years and 10 months and earned RM2,000 a month.

Magistrate Noorul Fhaiez fixed bail at RM9,000 in one surety each, and ordered the driving licences of both accused to be suspended with immediate effect. Both posted bail.

Earlier, media personnel had packed the court as early as 8am before the accused arrived half an hour later.

Siti Noor Aini, wearing a maroon tudung and blue jeans and wrapped in a blue printed shawl, sat in front of the public gallery accompanied by family members.

Mohammad Fizal, clad in light-coloured shirt and pants, was seated at the back row.

There was standing room only when the press pack was later joined by traffic offenders and others.

As soon as the court adjourned at about 11.20am, the two were brought to the court lockup, with Siti Noor Aini shielding herself from all the attention with her shawl, while they waited for their families to post bail.

The court set June 22 for mention.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.